Saturday, April 14, 2012

Theatre

Being in the world of  "pretend" has always given me the greatest joy and yes, the greatest escape. Whether in my bedroom as a twelve year old child pretending to be Mitzi Gaynor in South Pacific or as a 32 year old acting in a riveting story of revenge, or sitting in a theatre as a 59 year old woman watching wonderful actors singing, dancing and telling me a great story, theatre is, when done well, the best way to get away from worry and stress and be transported into a world where I, with so many others sitting beside me, can laugh, sing, cry and fall in love with the genius of actors, of singers, of dancers, of writers, of composers, of musicians....of performing arts and storytelling. Tonight I watched dear friends, and a former student (!) perform in an enchanting production of The Full Monty. I loved every minute. Last week, I took myself to see Les Miserables. It was wonderful. Last year, I took myself to see the touring company of West Side Story. I was again transported. How could those dancers do that ?!?! Their hard work and training made the experience magical. Listening to beautiful voices telling a story in song is the best. And watching what dancers can do with their bodies is stunning. I wish I could sing and dance. If I were 25 again, I'd learn. I was lucky when I was 27 to meet a wonderful acting teacher who taught me how to act. And I was lucky when I was 32 to meet an artistic director who hired me to act. And, in mid-life, I was lucky to have the privilege to work with actors on their passion and story telling.
I have been lucky to live in this world of "pretend", of storytelling, of courageous people who put themselves out on stage to give us all joy and, yes, escape from our worries and fears.

6 comments:

Sally Wallach said...

Clarissa Pinkola Estes says: "I'm too old to be a ballerina, but I'm not too old to dance flamenco. Para vida!" Love your writing.

Maura said...

So great to read your thoughts, Dossy. You make the world of imagination so alive and palpable for so many people through your wonderful teaching. So glad to be brought along into that magical world of yours and of so many amazing characters.

Dossy said...

Jane, Thank you so much for your comment. I took dancing lessons a few years ago and had to stop because of back issues and the cost. But maybe I'll try again! Thanks for the encouragement. Nothing like dancing to some wonderful music. All the best, Dossy

Dossy said...

Maura, thank you for your lovely comment. I love it!
And love that you are with me on the glorious ride into storytelling and discovery. What could be better !

jin said...

And how lucky for those who have met you, and who get to work with you... someone who makes one feel that they can indeed be brave and tell the story and soar.

It is you who are such a gift and a blessing!

Dossy said...

Jinny, thank you for these lovely words. they mean the world. Please come see me soon.